Monday 5 January 2015

more of the same please

I'm just going to make this as quick as I can, but it'll still be pretty long haha, so forgive me.

If I could sum up 2014 in a word, it would be this: uncomfortable

One of the major events for me last year was going off to National Service. Now, I don't think I've given NS much justice when sharing about my experience, nonetheless I have my reasons. NS was thoroughly uncomfortable for me. I was the only banana (non-chinese-speaking Chinese) in the whole camp, but lucky for me, it was where I trained my Cantonese haha. Another thing to note is that there's a lot of racial barriers in NS, but it was also in NS that I witnessed one of the best examples of unity among Malaysians. More on that some other time, although it probably is way overdue haha.

Another uncomfortable thing about this year? College. I am horrible at making new friends; so much so that throughout the whole semester I only made two 'friends'. Even then, I haven't spoken to them since the semester ended. So yeah. I felt like an outcast lots of times, being surrounded by some 'interesting' characters. It was also in college that I really felt the pressure of being a Christian, from a teacher no less. The story's a bit complicated, so I'll leave it at that for now.

Oh yeah I was officially made a youth 'leader' in 2014. Again, uncomfortable. I didn't expect lots of things to be the way they are, and how difficult and discouraging it can be to be a youth 'leader'. To think that Wes, Sau Mun, and Mel have been at it for 7 years.. Nevertheless, in every labor and toil, the worker is worthy of his keep. Being a 'leader' really is challenging, but extremely rewarding. 

One of the proudest moments for me last year was that I shared in youth for the first time, prophesied over someone for the first time, and also for the first time ever, the devotion material for camp wasn't done by SM! It was done by Neil and yours truly heh. A stepping stone towards change perhaps, but I feel that in every small triumph that I enjoy, God puts me through some trying times, simply to remind me that 'hey, that was all Me, not you.'

I guess this year, God has been exposing me to all kinds of people. From kampung boys, to sophisticated party-kakis, I feel that God is showing me the different sides to Malaysia that aren't apparent, but are very much present. And just how much each one of us need His love.

So yeah, it's been one hell of a year. One thing that I set out to do last year, was to make mistakes, which I did. Some I deeply regret, some not so much. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Because I've learnt so much from these mistakes, the kind which can't come by watching but only through experience. 

Few minor good things about 2014: I read more, wrote more, blogged more, stalked more (lolwat), made some new friends, lost a few, grew closer to some, prayed more (but barely enough), worshiped more, bought less gear, learnt more..but most importantly, I've fallen deeper in love with Him.

And so here's to more. More of the same, hopefully, but above all, more of Him.


~

No comments:

Post a Comment