Friday 8 March 2013

Thailand part 1


The time on the clock is 3:04 am.
I'm currently waiting for my football match to start. I've got nothing to do now so I'll blog about my experience in late 2011, going to Thailand for mission trip.



A group of around 30 of us went to a small town near the border of Myanmar called Mae Sot.
I was crazy excited for this. My first mission trip! I could sense that God had something special in store for the people of Mae Sot.

We reached Thailand in the night, then took a bus all the way to Mae Sot. Arrived there around 6+, checked into our hotel, and prepared for handbill distribution!
The Thai pastor got us to rehearse a few Thai sentences which translated to "Miracle rally! Come join us!".
Not easy. Harder than tongue twisters.

So off we went into the town area. We split into 2 groups, and then split into pairs. I was paired with a guy called Kenneth. He's an alumni of School of Acts, class 2011. He taught me how to communicate with the Thai's without words but with actions. Again, not easy..Soon we were done and back to the hotel we went.
Later that night, we had a training session for the volunteers which was very...boring. Haha.

Can't remember everything that happened cause I have a bad memory haha. So I'll just skip to the meaningful parts. (Meaningful for ME.)

Miracle rally night 1! We had a 30 minute-ish journey to some hillside. This area of Mae Sot is mostly occupied by a certain ethnic tribe..can't remember the name...Anyway it was crazy cold and windy. Possibly 15 degrees celcius. The team had to arrive early for a short briefing. Most of us were assigned to be ushers while some were doing video. The teamwork between us was crazy. I was amazed. We barely knew each other but we somehow managed to work together so neatly. Soon, Pastor Raymond was on stage giving his signature Miracle Rally message.

The set-up for the first night.


Fast forward about half an hour, Pastor gives the signal and we start ushering the sick to the front. I saw people lying on mats, sitting on wheelchairs. I saw the blind, the mute, the sick. I felt sad.
Yet excited at the same time! Cause Pastor was about to say the miracle prayer, and I knew that God was gonna do something!

After Pastor said the prayer, the team were already told beforehand that we are to look for people who were healed, and bring them to the stage. We were also told that if a certain person is not healed, you are to pray for that person! Man. Testing of my faith.

I tried my best to avoid praying for anyone, but I had to. It felt like my responsibility.
So I did. There was this boy who couldn't walk properly. I'm not sure what caused it. I prayed as hard as I could. Alas, nothing happened. Two seniors took over and prayed. I was dejected.

Then I was reminded about a friend. He too went for a mission trip, prayed for healing but nothing happened. Night after night.
He went back to the hotel room, and complained to God. "Why? Why aren't you using me?"
Then God's word hit him. "Why are you doing what you're doing? Is it so that you can have the pride of healing someone?"

I felt like God asked me the same question. I said a short prayer to God, asking Him to rid me of my own personal agenda. I want to glorify Him and Him alone. So I went to another person and prayed. Nothing happened. Then to another person. And another person. And on and on. Nothing.
But I didn't feel sad. I don't know why. I guess that was the Holy Spirit guarding my heart.

Though I did not have healing occur right before me, healing definitely took place across the field.


The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.
Matthew 11:5


That exact same thing happened. No dead were raised mind you. But there were healings of all kinds. And most importantly, healing of the spirit. Many, many souls accepted Jesus into their hearts. It was a good night. Tiring. But good.


I will blog about part 2 soon. Till then, here's a song..
Hillsong - Grace Abounds


All powerful, all glorious.
There's nothing like the name of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment