Sunday 24 May 2015

keep. pressing. on.

After Jesus' cousin, John the Baptist, was killed, all Jesus wanted was to take a break. It says in the Word that he withdrew privately to a solitary place, telling the disciples, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest." 

Yet in his departure, need arose. 


When the people saw that he was leaving, they ran on foot, coming from different towns, arriving before Jesus did, and waited on him. Jesus saw the needs in the people, and was moved with compassion for them. He put aside his own emotions and tiredness, not out of obligation, but out of compassion, and began to minister to them. Then, he performed a miracle and fed all five thousand of them. Jesus did all this right after his cousin was killed. Beheaded, to be exact. 


He had every right to call it a day, but he didn't.

I am overwhelmed. Here I am, feeling so tired, constantly murmuring and complaining, just feeling like giving up and letting go of every responsibility and running off elsewhere, even for just a while. Then I compare my situation to his, and I think to myself, "Geez Nick, and you have the heart to complain?"

Jesus, make me more like you, whatever the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment